Yasmine's Blog

My Favorite Mistake

on December 15, 2013

“Ummmmm… Is that supposed to happen?” I nervously asked my dad as my eyes flicked back and forth from my dad and the Chickfila currently engulfed in flames. Probably a better question to ask is, “why is that happening?” Even better, get the blazing sandwich out of the microwave, which let me tell you I was not going to do. My dad quickly grabbed the Chickfila bag from the side that isn’t up in smoke. For some magical reason unknown when my precious food was taken out of the microwave the fire vanquished.

“Beep,beep,beep!” The smoke alarm alerted us right on time… Not! The pungent smell filled the air, the chicken did almost nothing to diminish the smell. Half the bag was charred, but when taken out the bag there where no casualties in the food. “Mmmmmm…” Actually the chicken was crispy, just how I like it.

Looking back I gained more than crispy chicken from my mistake. Now I know just because something looks heatproof doesn’t mean it is, the foil was prey to keep the heat in, it NEVER goes in the microwave. This can also serve a broad lesson, don’t assume things purely from sight.

5 Responses to “My Favorite Mistake”

1. Mrs. Kriese says:

I never thought about it before, but yeah, those bags are foil-lined! Not microwave safe at all. I’ll bet you are not the only one to make that mistake!

2. sanjanal622 says:

I really liked how you used sensory imagery and a lot of dialogue! It made me feel as if I were there in the story. Good Job!

3. libbyb601 says:

I love this. I’ve never set anything on fire in the microwavy but I must admit I have burnt a lot of chocolate in my time. 🙂

4. alissat513 says:

That is so funny! I am cracking up right now! I loved the way the piece was written. I read it all the through without barley blinking! It kept my on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.

Great post!

5. andreal411 says:

Not everything that says is “heat-proof” is actually heat proof, I know that from experience! I love the voice you used in this piece, it’s full of personality!